Later Start Times

Have you ever thought about the fact that a later school start time is essential for high school students?

Later Start Times

According to a news reporter, “Our study confirms that early SST (School Start Times) in adolescents is associated with sleep deprivation and suggests that schedules that start much later than typically considered may be needed to eliminate sleep deprivation in adolescents.” This quote from Kyla L Wahlstrom tells how sleep deprivation is not an aspect that will benefit adolescents. Other studies show that when adolescents get the right amount of sleep they are more likely to get better grades, reduce stress, and also improve moods.

When your grades are better your confidence within yourself will improve as well. One of the things that will help this happen is getting enough sleep. Even the smallest amount of grades boost may improve the way you view yourself. ‘A new study in Minnesota documents what happened to 18,000 students in grades 5 through 11 after four school districts postponed the start of the school day by 20 to 65 minutes. Student grades increased a little, raising students’ grade point averages by an extra 0.1 points, on average. That’s the equivalent of moving from, say, a B average of 3.1 GPA to a B average of 3.2 GPA. This article is about how grades improve grades. These statistics may not seem like a huge deal to most people, but if your GPA is a 3.4 and your grade increases by 0.1 points then your GPA will go from a 3.4 GPA to a 3.5 GPA which is a B average to an A average. If this is because of longer sleep, then it shows how beneficial sleep can be to your grades. For this reason alone getting a later start time would make your mood change.

You may not think of this reason as an important value, but later school start times can benefit social, emotional life. If you start school later in the day, then you are more awake and more aware of your surroundings. “The less sleep you get, the less you want to socially interact. In turn, other people perceive you as more socially repulsive, further increasing the grave social-isolation impact of sleep loss.” Which was said in an article on the impact of what sleep deprivation does on your body. It can also affect your emotions as well because I find that when I’m tired I am sleeping in class and missing assignments in class. This affects more than just my grades but it affects my social life. An article, states “Studies show people who are sleep deprived report increases in negative moods (anger, frustration, irritability, sadness) and decreases in positive moods.”

So many students sleep through their first-period classes which brings down their GPA, and motivation. Even with this information people still believe that if later start times were to start then it would interfere with their parent’s work schedules along with transportation logistics. If the issue lies in parents not being able to pick up their children to transport them back to their homes then the child should be able to either walk home and stay at home being able to show they can be trusted or even responsible. On the argument on the buses and other transportation being more difficult, there was a report on School Transportation News stating that if there were more bus drivers and more evaluated routes then there wouldn’t be a problem with buses being late or there not being a bus at all.  In all, we need to have later school start times adolescents can get better grades, reduce stress, and also improve moods.