The Arctic

North High News, Worcester MA

The Arctic

The Arctic

Unmasking the Pros and Cons of Cellphones in Schools Dynamics

Title: The Case for Banning Phones in School

Jan: Jonathan, This has been on my mind a lot lately. Do you believe that limiting cell phones in schools would be a good idea?

Jonathan: Interesting topic, Jan. Why do you think that?

Jan: To begin with, it’s annoying. Students often pay more attention to their phones in class than to the instruction. It has an impact on our classroom in a way that students don’t want to learn in the class.

Jonathan: Jan, you make a good point. Distractions can make learning more difficult. Some say that phones can be utilized for educational purposes, though.

Jan: Yeah, but that’s not usually how things go. Students mostly just use social media to browse or play games or something else to keep in mind kids they’d days are extremely rude to everyone and some even don’t have the respect toward their peers. 

Jonathan: I understand your worry. However, complete phone bans can be excessive. And in case of emergencies? When things become bad, phones may save lives.

Jan: Jonathan, that is fair. There are different methods of dealing with crises, though. For example, schools may have a procedure in place to get in touch with guardians or parents.

Jonathan: Fair point, Jan . What about fostering social interactions? Some argue that phones help students connect.

Jan: I get that, but I believe face-to-face interactions are crucial for social development. Constant phone use can lead to isolation and hinder communication skills.

Jonathan: You’r right; balance is key. Maybe there could be designated times for phone use, like during breaks or after school.

Jan: That sounds reasonable, Jonathan. It could help balance using phones responsibly and maintaining a focused learning environment.

Jonathan: It’s a challenging issue, Jan . Perhaps we could initiate a discussion among students, teachers, and parents to find a solution that works for everyone.

Jan: I like that idea, Jonathan. Including everyone in the conversation could lead to a more comprehensive and balanced policy on phone usage in school.

Title: Embracing Technology: A Dialogue on Allowing Phones in School

Jonathan: Jan Though I’m not sure it’s the best plan of action, I’ve been considering the concept of completely banning phones in schools. What do you think?

Jan: Jonathan, that’s an interesting point of view. Why do you think a phone ban is not acceptable?

Jonathan: They can be effective learning tools, to start with. With the internet at our fingertips, we can quickly obtain information and enhance our knowledge on a variety of topics.

Jan: Jonathan, you make a valid point. Technology does offer useful resources. However, what about the claim that cell phones might be disruptive in the classroom?

Jonathan: Jan, I am aware of your concern. But the main focus should be on teaching appropriate usage. Rather than outright prohibiting it, we may teach kids when and how to use their phones in class.

Jan: Good point, Jonathan. What about the social aspect? Some argue that excessive phone use can lead to students isolating themselves from their peers.

Jonathan: Although I can understand your concern, a phone ban won’t necessarily address the social issue. Whether using phones or not, the main goal is to encourage positive social interactions and communication skills.

Jan: Fair enough. Some also worry about cyber bullying and inappropriate content. How do you address those concerns?

Jonathan: Those are legitimate concerns, Jan. However, instead of a ban, we could focus on implementing and enforcing clear guidelines regarding online behavior. This way, students learn responsible digital citizenship.

Jan: Interesting perspective, Jonathan. What about equality? Not all students have access to the latest smartphones. Doesn’t that create a divide?

Jonathan: That’s a crucial point, Jan . Schools could consider providing devices or ensuring access to resources for students who might not have their phones.