The Arctic

North High News, Worcester MA

The Arctic

The Arctic

Driving Us Crazy!

The Frustrating Quest to Get a Drivers License in Massachusetts in 2024.

Have you ever watched the blockbuster movie Fast and Furious and felt the thrill of high-speed car chases? The sound of roar. It’s exciting to imagine ourselves in the driver’s seat, racing through the streets at breakneck speed. However, it’s important to remember that this is just a movie and real-life driving is very different.

In reality, driving requires discipline, caution, and adherence to traffic laws. Driving without following these rules can have serious consequences, not only for yourself but also for other drivers and pedestrians.

To become a safe and responsible driver, it’s important to get proper training. Taking driving lessons from a certified instructor can help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to confidently navigate the roads. Additionally, practicing defensive driving techniques can help you avoid accidents and stay safe while driving.

Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right. As drivers, we have a responsibility to follow the rules of the road and respect the safety of others. So, before you start imagining yourself as a reckless driver like in the movies, think about the real-life consequences of such actions and make sure you’re properly prepared to drive safely.ng engines, the smell of burning rubber, and the sight of sleek cars speeding through the streets can be exhilarating. However, it’s important to remember that the driving we see in movies is a far cry from the reality of driving on the roads.

While the characters in the movie drive recklessly, break laws, and put themselves and others in danger, real-life driving requires responsibility, discipline, and adherence to traffic laws. Failure to follow these rules can have serious consequences, including injury, loss of life, and legal penalties.

To be a safe and responsible driver, it’s essential to get proper training and education. Taking driving lessons from a certified instructor can help you learn the skills you need to drive confidently and navigate the roads competently. Moreover, practicing defensive driving techniques can help you avoid accidents and keep you safe on the road.

Driving is not just a skill but also a privilege. As drivers, we have a responsibility to follow traffic laws and respect the safety of others. Therefore, before you start imagining yourself as a reckless driver like in the movies, think carefully about the real-life consequences of such actions and make sure you’re properly prepared to drive safely.

What is it Like Driving in Massachusetts?

Driving in Massachusetts can be a challenge. One of the most popular cities in Massachusetts can be a pain in the behind. Navigating through the streets of Boston can be quite challenging due to the heavy traffic flow and crowded roads. As a bustling city that attracts millions of visitors annually, Boston is notorious for its busy streets and packed neighborhoods that make driving daunting. 

In the state of Worcester, aspiring drivers can obtain a driving permit at the age of 16, provided they pass a written and a vision test. With a permit, they can drive under the supervision of a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old. At 17 years of age, some students may be eligible to obtain a full driver’s license if they have completed a driver’s education course and have held a permit for at least six months. Otherwise, they can obtain a full license at the age of 18, after passing a road test. It’s worth noting that driving classes are not mandatory in Worcester, but they can help students gain the skills and knowledge they need to become safe and responsible drivers. In the state of New York, the process of obtaining a driver’s license is quite similar to that of other states in the United States, but with some additional requirements. To begin with, one must first obtain a Learner’s Permit. This involves taking a written test and an eye exam at a local DMV office. Once the permit is obtained, the permit holder must complete an authorized driver safety course, which includes at least 24 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel training. After completing the course, the next step is to pass a road test. The road test is conducted by a DMV examiner and typically takes about 15 minutes. During the test, the examiner evaluates the applicant’s ability to drive safely and follow traffic rules. If the applicant already has a driver’s license from another state in the U.S., some of these requirements may be waived.

“driving without a license is a serious offense and can have severe consequences, including fines, imprisonment, and a criminal record.”

A  significant number of people residing in Massachusetts tend to drive without a license. This phenomenon is largely attributed to the high cost of driving schools in the area. A majority of teenagers find it difficult to afford the fees charged by driving schools, which can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. As a result, many individuals take the risk of driving without a license, which can lead to legal consequences and, more importantly, put their safety at risk. It is important to note that “driving without a license is a serious offense and can have severe consequences, including fines, imprisonment, and a criminal record.”

Many individuals believe that driving school should be offered free of charge as it can be a significant expense for those who cannot afford it. In addition to the cost of driving lessons, people need to pay for other essential necessities like rent and household expenses, which can further strain their finances. Given these factors, making driving school free would allow more people to learn how to drive and obtain their license, which would have a positive impact on their ability to find work, attend school, and participate in other activities that require driving.

“My name is David, and my experience with my driver license is as a high school student; this experience is a very good thing because I don’t need to depend on other people to get to other places”

How to Get a License?

The process of obtaining a driver’s license involves several steps that go beyond taking the driving test. The first step is to carefully select an acceptable form of identification from the list of IDs recognized by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). It is also important to gather all the necessary documentation and confirm the list of federal IDs that the RMV accepts. These steps are crucial to ensure a smooth and successful driver’s license application process.

Possible Barriers

For many people, learning how to drive is a crucial step towards independence and freedom. However, the cost of attending a driving school can be prohibitively expensive, especially for those who are already struggling to make ends meet. The high cost of driving school not only includes the actual tuition fees but also additional expenses such as car rental, insurance, and testing fees. As a result, many individuals are left without the means to pursue this important skill and are forced to rely on other modes of transportation.

Benefits of Driving as a High Schooler: The idea here is that the high school student would gain more autonomy and self-reliance by traveling to different places on their own, without having to rely on their parents for transportation. This would allow them to develop a sense of independence and responsibility, which could benefit their personal growth and development.

“one thing that I have to give my opinion to other students and the following, make sure you get your driver’s license as quickly as possible, but it is important that you know that this requires a lot of responsibility in traffic, due to the fact that we are only young”

— David Felix

Downsides of Driving as a High Schooler- As high schoolers tend to drive more frequently, there is a higher chance of accidents occurring. This is mainly because a lot of them work part-time jobs at night, which can cause them to feel exhausted and fatigued in the morning. This can result in a lack of focus while driving, increasing the chances of accidents occurring. High schoolers need to prioritize their safety and ensure they get enough rest to avoid any potential dangers while on the road.

The cost for each class: 

1-hour driving lesson $70
1.5-hour driving lesson $145
5 hour

Discount program

$335
10 hour

Discount program

$660
2-hour highway lesson

Private

$190
Driver’s retraining course $350
Road test $160
Driver’s education course $950
1-hour private lesson $95
5-hour private lesson

Discount program

$460
10-hour private lesson

Beginner’s course

$870